The Best All American Homemade Chocolate Cake is soft and full of chocolate flavor. This was a trial for me being that most of my chocolate cakes have had some issues, (not realizing how important baking soda is when using cocoa other than Dutch-proccessed cocoa) but this came out perfect.
1/2 cup + 3 tbsp (lightly spooned into cup) unsweetened cocoa (Dutch-processed)
1 cup boiling water
3 large eggs
2 1/4 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups + 2 tblps sifted cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
1. In a medium bowl whisk together the cocoa and boiling water until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
2. In another bowl lightly combine the eggs, 1/4 of the cocoa mixture and vanilla. In a large mixing bowl combine the remaining dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 30 seconds to blend. Add butter and remaining cocoa mixture. Mix on low until the dry ingredients are moistened.
3. Increase to medium or high if using a hand mixer. Beat for 1 1/2 minutes to develop the cake’s structure. Scrape down sides. Gradually add the egg mixture in 3 batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition to strengthen the cake’s structure.
4. Scrape the batter into prepare pans and smooth the top. Bake for about 25 to 45 minutes depending on your oven and the type of pan you use, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Then loosen and invert onto greased wire racks.
Simple Syrup (keeps cake moist)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
flavoring of your choice
1. Bring water to a boil and add sugar, whisk constantly until completely dissolved and add flavoring. Let cool and brush onto warm cake.